your purchase makes an impact by supporting
our pledge to donate 1% of every dollar received back to the planet
the preservation of old-growth forests, pollinators, and many of our environmental passions
increasing demand for sustainable raw materials making them more accessible + affordable for everyone
product design rooted in sustainability + focused on reusability
1% for the Planet is a global organization that exists to ensure our planet and future generations thrive. They act as an accountability partner for businesses supporting environmental partners through annual membership and third-party certification. For more info. visit onepercentfortheplanet.org
Our guiding principles impact our decisions every day. From the raw materials we source and manufacturers we partner with to the products we create, we design intentionally to minimize packaging waste and develop new creative solutions. We take our commitment to preserving and protecting our environment very seriously so future generations can enjoy it as much as we do today. There is still much work to be done, and we’re grateful for the continued support as we seek new ways to make positive changes in our business, industry, and the world. Thank you for taking this step with us!
OUR GUIDING PRINCIPLES
Design + create authentic products that help cultivate a deeper connection with nature.
Design products in a responsible way to minimize our environmental impact.
Choosing raw materials sourced responsibly from renewable resources that can be recycled or composted is only the first step. The best ecological option is to prevent materials from returning to the waste cycle, even highly recyclable ones. Recycling, reclaiming, and repurposing materials also require energy, fossil fuels, and resources.
For us, it all starts with intentional product design. We seek to minimize waste starting in the design process, focusing on reusability. Rather than design a product first and then design a single-use protective package, we challenge ourselves to develop our products and packaging in synergy to make the packaging as functional as the products inside, thus becoming part of the product. Our goal is to prevent the need for unnecessary single-use resources and divert as much as possible from recycling centers and landfills. We hope our approach will inspire others to follow suit.
NOTABLE STUDIO PROCESSES
- Design Studio Recycling Program
- Donating scraps, discontinued or damaged items we can not sell to be Repurposed. We do not discard any of our merchandise.
- Reusing packaging materials from manufacturers and vendors, including bubble wrap, foam, etc. during the shipment of wholesale orders. If you received plastic in your package, it was repurposed.
You can find ideas on how to repurpose our products or packaging on each product page
- We use 100% cotton in all our textile goods, including the packaging ribbon. Cotton is an organic material that is biodegradable and renewable.
- Our towels and napkins can be recycled curbside or composted when cut into small pieces. However, we recommend commercial composting because it takes longer to compost cotton.
- Our textiles are screen-printed with eco-friendly, non-plastisol inks that permanently dye the cotton, allowing them to be compostable with the cotton.
- We select papers made from fully recycled pulp milled from 100% post-consumer reclaimed content, including our packaging tags. All of our papers are also made using either hydroelectricity or wind-powered energy. Our natural papers are fully biodegradable and are curbside recyclable or compostable at home. However, we recommend shredding or cutting into small pieces before adding to your home compost.
- We use compostable plant-based PLA plastic derived from plant-based sugars for our greeting card sleeves and are working towards adding it to more products. Please save your plant-based PLA bags, as they are best composted at a local commercial composting facility and will compost in about 12 weeks under the right conditions.
- When required by large retailers, we use protective bags made from 100% post-consumer plastic.
- All our kraft packaging fill and paper wrap is made from 100% recycled content, and our shipping boxes are curbside recyclable.
- The glass used for our collecting bottles and terrariums are curbside recyclable; however, please follow local guidelines for safely recycling glass curbside.
- We use reclaimed wood for our Heirloom Flower Presses and Wood Bases sourced locally in Michigan from responsibly deconstructed old barns and fallen trees.
OUR PASSIONS + GIVING BACK
On top of pledging to give back to the earth and support our environmental passions, thanks to the help of our customers, we’ve also been able to give to Pollinator Partnership. This non-profit organization supports the health, conservation, and research of pollinators critical to our food and ecosystems. Please join us in celebrating Pollinators during National Pollinator Week every second week of June.
Being sustainable is much bigger than June & December. There is no “end” to this evolutionary process. We will continue to invest tremendous time, money, and energy into new sustainable solutions, no matter how small. We hope you check back often to see what we’re working on, and we thank you for your continued support.